Quality leather briefcases can be expensive. Why such a wide price range? What is the difference between a low-end briefcase and one that can cost close to a thousand dollars? And how to buy the best professional leather case for your needs?
These are the questions that we will try to answer in this article.
Specifically we’ll cover 8 qualities to look for when buying a leather briefcase.
If you use this checklist, you can be sure that you’ll buy the right case for your needs!
Contenidos de la página
- The quality of the leather
- Materials used for the construction of the briefcase
- Choosing the right case – attache, portfolio or messenger bags?
- Durability of leather briefcases
- Compartments (space flexibility)
- The color of the briefcase
- The appropriate size and weight of the briefcase
- The cost of a leather briefcase
The quality of the leather
Buy a briefcase made of high quality leather.
Quality leather improves with age – the briefcase should look fantastic even after a decade of use. Over time, the leather changes color and develops an attractive patina.
A high-quality leather case looks elegant and professional. Genuine leather is durable, flexible, attractive and has a typical smell associated with masculinity.
- The most durable cases are made with full grain leather.
- Corrected grain leather is an excellent and affordable alternative to whole grain leather.
- For leather that is more permeable to water and thinner, choose suede. It will not last as long as the higher quality versions.
The origin of the leather used to make the briefcase often determines the quality. The best quality leather comes from Italy, France, England and America.
Avoid buying a fake leather briefcase. You will have to change your briefcase before having the opportunity to fully justify the saved dollars.
Materials used for the construction of the briefcase
The materials used to make leather cases affect not only the price, but its appearance and durability.
The locks, the handle, the shoulder strap fittings, the zippers, the buckles and the metal rings suffer the most daily abuse and probably wear out faster.
Check that the materials are of good quality. It is simple to do it in the store, you just have to turn the briefcase and study the details. If you are buying the briefcase online, zoom in on the product images and observe the quality of the accessories.
These spare parts are quite expensive. Price is a good indicator of quality.
Good quality leather accessories are strong – a manufacturer that uses quality materials will have higher prices for their products.
Choosing the right case – attache, portfolio or messenger bags?
Are appropriate for your way of life the style and formality of the briefcase ?
What do you do for a living? If you are a lawyer or accountant, then a luxury attache leather briefcase would be ideal. Do you travel often for business? A briefcase with wheels would be the obvious choice.
A casual or formal messenger leather bag is perfectly suited for multiple situations. Although they are not usually classified as briefcases, you can go out and take one for an informal work or vacation environment.
The biggest difference in the styles is between the rigid structure cases and the unstructured versions. The prevailing style may change from time to time, but both versions are appropriate for the office and are widely available in the market.
- Rigid structure cases – have a light and rigid frame made of sturdy cardboard, plastic or aluminum. They rest on its side and have a handle, but without straps. They have dividers and folders to properly keep the items inside the briefcase.
Banuce Vintage Full Grain Italian Leather Briefcase for Men Business Tote Lock Lawyer Attache Case 14″ Laptop Messenger BagBuy it at Amazon!
Banuce Vintage Genuine Leather Briefcase for Men Lock Lawyer Attache Case Laptop Messenger BagBuy it at Amazon!
Mens Classic Leather Briefcase Messenger Bags Laptop Handbags Shoulder BagsBuy it at Amazon!
Samsonite Leather Flapover CaseBuy it at Amazon!
- Attache – Attaches are similar to a briefcase, but its smaller size and thinner profile make it more compact and formal than a traditional briefcase. The interiors are simpler, with fewer pockets and folders.
Alpine Swiss Expandable Leather Attache Briefcase Dual Combination Locks 1 Year WarrantyBuy it at Amazon!
Business Leather Mens Briefcase for Travel Vintage Outlook Organized Interior Hard-sided Attaché CasesBuy it at Amazon!
McKlein, V Series, Coughlin, Top Grain Cowhide Leather, Leather 4.5″ Expandable Attaché BriefcaseBuy it at Amazon!
McKlein, V Series, Reagan, Top Grain Cowhide Leather, Leather 3.5″ Attaché BriefcaseBuy it at Amazon!
- Soft briefcases – Any briefcase without frames on top of the bag is considered a soft wallet briefcase. These cases are opened from the top so that documents and laptops can be stored and retrieved while the briefcase is upright. These briefcases often come with a handle and a removable shoulder strap. When your load is lighter, it collapses into a flatter package that is easier to store. Although some soft cases have locks, the materials with which they are manufactured are often vulnerable to certain attempts to subtract the contents of the bag.
BOSTANTEN Leather Briefcase Laptop Handbag Messenger Business Bags for MenBuy it at Amazon!
Handmade World Leather Messenger Bags for Men Women 18″ Mens Briefcase Laptop Bag Best Computer Shoulder Satchel School Distressed Bag (13″ X 18″)Buy it at Amazon!
Messenger Laptop Case for 16” Computer Iswee Men’s Leather Briefcase Attache Case Tote Shoulder BagBuy it at Amazon!
Samsonite Colombian Leather Flapover CaseBuy it at Amazon!
Durability of leather briefcases
Look for these quality characteristics when buying a briefcase:
- The seam in the bag should be straight, even, with short stitches and without loose threads. Check the consistency in the seam on the inner and outer surfaces. Reinforced seam provides protection for the vulnerable areas of the bag.
- Metal zippers are of better quality than plastic zippers. Open and close the zipper several times to ensure that the closure is smooth. If you buy online, check the photos that show the zipper closed and open.
- Carefully examine the hinges of a hard case. They must be resistant and free of rust.
- The handles should be firmly fixed to the body of the case with reinforced seams or metal accessories. The handles that are attached to the outside of the bag will probably come loose after a short period of use.
- The edges of the briefcase are the points where the leather is proner to peel or split.
Compartments (space flexibility)
Leather briefcases look deceptively compact and thin. Interiors are often designed with flexible and spacious compartments to store your laptop and other essential items.
When buying a briefcase, the main consideration for should be what you need to carry in it. Put everything on a table and then solve what you need.
You should always have enough compartments inside your briefcase to keep the content as organized as possible, especially if you carry a lot of things.
If you travel and have a briefcase with wheels, it would be ideal to have a separate section to carry some pieces of clothing. An essential feature for frequent travelers is a compartment that allows them to store items that need quick access, such as a flight boarding ticket, wallet, keys or mobile phone.
The color of the briefcase
The three most common colors in leather briefcases for men are light cofee, brown and black. Black and dark brown are the most suitable for a professional environment – since they give a sense of power and authority. Coffee and lighter colors are more suitable for casual purposes, where the work environment is relaxed and informal. Cases that have more than two different colors on the outside or a contrast color stitching can be perceived as extravagant. Unless your job allows such a stereotype, avoid them.
- Light coffee, caramel: it looks elegant.
- Dark brown (chocolate): Suits, navy blue suit. High-end, corporate color. In case of doubt about the material, opt for dark brown leather.
- Black leather – more formal – Suits. Most commonly purchased. It is not necessary that the color of the briefcase matches your belt and shoes. It’s fine to have classic shoes and brown belt and a dark chocolate briefcase.
BOSTANTEN Leather Briefcase Shoulder 15.6″Laptop Business Vintage Slim Messenger Bags for Men
Buy it at Amazon!
Kenneth Cole Reaction Show Business Full-Grain Colombian Leather Dual Compartment Flapover 15.6-inch Laptop Business Portfolio
Buy it at Amazon!
Kenneth Cole Reaction True Colors Genuine Leather Portfolio
Buy it at Amazon!
Uri Minkoff Arthur Briefcase With Soft Napa Leather
Buy it at Amazon!
If you have the habit of carrying a laptop, make sure there is a compartment large enough for it, with the right padding.
Someone who regularly transports the same few items may prefer a hard case that doesn’t need to be extended or contracted to fit the content.
Frequent travelers would benefit from an attache type case – a practical option when storing it in the seat compartment.
If you are planning to travel often by air with your briefcase, consider having an easy-access compartment in case of a security control.
A lawyer or legal secretary would benefit from using a larger briefcase because his profession is famous for requiring reams of paper.
Probably, a flexible, unstructured portfolio is a better option for a professional with fluctuating work requirements.
A contemporary style messenger bag with flap is more casual, easier to use and weighs less than the traditional briefcase. It is an ideal style for men who work in non-formal professions, such as the fashion industry, the media or public relations.
The appropriate size and weight of the briefcase
Bigger is not better in the case of leather briefcases.
Unless your job requires it, you don’t want to be tied to a big, heavy bag. It looks ridiculous when a small man carries a bag that is too big for his size. And it feels uncomfortable.
Depending on your situation, the following dimensions should be ideal for a briefcase:
- Width: between 15 – 16.5 inches
- Height: 11 – 13 inches
- Depth: 4-6 inches
Depending on what you need to carry in your bag, you can add or remove a few inches. Choose a briefcase that can be compressed if there is empty space inside.
The cost of a leather briefcase
The superior quality costs more money. You don’t want anything less when buy an article that should last for decades.
Cheap leather briefcases may cost little, but they will need to be replaced before a more expensive and durable version. A good guideline is to buy the highest quality available. A Briefcase is an essential equipment for anyone who regularly transports documents and other work items to and from office. It is also a style statement, so finding the right briefcase is an important aspect if you want to be well dressed to climb the professional ladder.